If you Care for a Relative’s Young Child – Read This

January 20, 2017
If you Care for a Relative’s Young Child – Read This

If you are between 16 and State Pension age, and care for a relative’s child (under 12 years old), then you may be entitled to Specified Adult Childcare Credits.

Parents who give up work are given National Insurance credits while their children are under 12, to help them get a state pension. If they return to work, relatives can claim the credits instead.

These credits were introduced in 2011 but it seems that the large majority of us who are entitled to them, haven’t applied. And we should – National Insurance credits may help to fill in any gaps in our record meaning that we will still get our full State Pension. According to a response to a Freedom of Information request; In the year to the end of September 2016, only about 1,300 people claimed the credits.

Each year of caring for a child under 12, qualifies us for an extra £231 of annual pension. Which is important if we don’t have a full National insurance record or aren’t earning enough to pay National Insurance anyway.

Check out your eligibility here.

There’s more good news too – if you think you might have been entitled but no longer are, you can make backdated claims for all the years back to 2011.

Naturally Better You - Mother & Baby
Follow my blog with Bloglovin